Signs Your Houston Home's Heater Needs Some TLC
A properly maintained furnace should last 15-20 years, and regular maintenance of your home's heater by qualified professionals can prevent many of the common problems faced by poorly maintained heaters. For you, that can mean thousands of dollars saved in reduced repair, replacement, and energy costs.
Here are some of the most common signs your heater isn't 100%:
- Heating bills are higher than normal. Naturally, your heating bill will be higher in these cooler months of the year, but if you're worried that the amount you're spending isn't in line with how much heat is actually being used, your heater may be due for a cleaning.
- Heater takes a long time to turn on and / or doesn't stay on for long. Like your A/C or any other major household appliance, if your heating unit isn't responding correctly, there may be a problem. With a heater, it's likely an issue with the fan motor or pilot light ignition. If the heater doesn't turn on period, you definitely need to call out a furnace technician.
- Heater makes loud and unusual noises. Like your A/C, it's normal to hear noises while your heater is running, but loud banging or "groaning" sounds are not a sign of a healthy heater.
- The rooms in your home are not being evenly heated. The distribution of heat in some areas of your home exceeding the amount warming other rooms could be a sign of leaky ductwork.
- Heater requires higher temperature settings to sufficiently warm your home. If 68 degrees just isn't keeping you warm like it used to, the thermostat could be broken, or your ductwork could have a leak.
Ideally, you should have your furnace inspected by a qualified technician once every year, usually before Winter. Waiting until the coldest months when your heater decides to stop working certainly isn't ideal.
Need some help nursing your heater back to health? Schedule your free in-home consultation on our Houston heater repair services today.