We know that bumping up our A/C to a higher temperature can greatly reduce our monthly energy bills. But try telling that to a Houston area homeowner in July .. sweating in our own homes is not exactly on our to-do list.
Here are five simple ways to slash your July energy bill without suffering through one of the hottest months of the year:
- Ever notice how hot your kitchen gets when you cook in the Summer? Try eating cooler meals on the hottest days, or pick only one day a week to use your oven and stove by preparing meals in bulk. A cooler kitchen means less strain on your A/C and less energy used to prepare meals. Take it one step further by stocking your fridge and freezer to the brim, so they require less energy to run.
- Invest in a clothesline, and air-dry your laundry all Summer. Better yet, make it a year-round habit, and save money all year long.
- Been hand-washing your dishes for awhile? Invest in an energy-efficient dishwasher, and save money on your energy and water bills while you keep yourself from having to bump up the A/C to keep yourself cooler while you sweat over a hot sink.
- Keep your blinds, curtains, and other window treatments closed, particularly during the hottest times of the day. Preventing the sunlight from penetrating your windows and into your house can keep things significantly cooler and can help protect your furniture and flooring as well.
- Going away this month? Or just never seem to fill up that second fridge or freezer? Empty it out, unplug it, and watch your next electric bill drop.
Concerned your A/C isn't cooling your house properly? Unsure if your air flow is consistent? Schedule a Houston home energy audit, and let our experts take a look.